Most Recent Update:
August 18, 2019
-Contractor has been selected
-Original estimate from Architect June 2018 $200,000
-Initial Contractor estimates average June 2019 $410,000
-Renegotiated contractor proposal July 2019 $300,000
(all figures are rounded off)
-start date late September
-completion date minus lift, early December
-Lift to be installed probably January 2020
-The entire shaft for the lift must be absolutely completed before the company will begin work on constructing the lift. Constructing the lift takes between 6 and 8 weeks.
-it is highly likely that we will need to meet elsewhere for a couple of weeks to ensure the safety and efficiency of the project.
-the proposed schedule has not been discussed yet.
-Your SteerCom is actively pursuing multiple options to ensure that we might continue meeting together with only limited interruption.
July 11, 2019
-We have received our official building permits!
-We have selected a Contractor and are negotiating final costs and start date. Estimates show start date as September 25, 2019.
Beginning of June:
We have put the project out for tender and have received quotes back from contractors. At this time we are in the process of selecting a contractor to complete the job and will likely begin work late summer/early fall 2019.
Project Accessibility is about making In2one Community Church a place that continues to break down barriers and open doors spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
We are on a ROAD TRIP together in earnest pursuit of Jesus, and part of that calling has brought us to consider making changes to the physical elements of our building that will allow easier entry, exit, and general use of the building for people of all abilities in our community.
What is included in this renovation?:
- Phase 1 - Main Entrance: Scope includes bringing the door down to ground level, lowering the floor and changing the landings/stairways inside the main entrance, and replacing the exterior doors with accessible push button entry doors.
- Phase 2 - Lift Between 3 Levels: Scope includes installing a lift that will allow people to access both the main level (sanctuary) and lower level (basement) without the use of the stairs.
- Phase 3 - Barrier Free Washrooms: Scope includes renovating both washrooms to allow for one larger barrier free, fully accessible washroom with a push button doorway and a second renovated washroom; both for general use. A sidelight window in the door will also be installed in the main room to allow sight lines for supervision of children using the facilities during programming.
- Phase 4 - Lower Level/North End Rooms: Scope includes completing a lower level landing where the lift access will be, opening up the large room to the lift space, removing the two small classrooms in the North end to create one larger 3rd classroom along the same wall as the existing classroom and nursery, and adding a fire door at the bottom of the back stairwell.
- Phase 5 - Kitchen/Servery: Scope includes renovating the existing servery/kitchen area to be more accessible and user friendly (i.e., more central floor space, more cupboard space, larger re-located sinks, new entry way etc...
Here's what we have been working on in the background since 2017:
- Planning for the Future: Where will we be, and how will we use our space, in the next 3, 5, 10 years and beyond?
- Dividing the renovation into Phases: We can't do it all at once, so we began dividing the project into phases to help prioritize and plan for each step
- Engaging Architect Services for Phases 1-5: Architectural services and drawings were done up with Dickinson & Hicks Architects Inc. in spring 2018
- Application for Federal Accessibility Grant: In2one Community Church applied for the Enabling Accessibility Fund grant through the federal government in fall 2018
- Refining Focus of Phases:
*Phase 1 - Main Entrance
*Phase 2 - Lift between 3 levels
*Phase 3 - Barrier Free Washrooms
*Phase 4 - Lower Level/North End Rooms
*Phase 5 - Kitchen/Servery
- In2one Community Church Receives Enabling Accessibility Grant: In February, 2018, In2one Community Church was awarded a $100,000 grant from the Federal Government to be put towards Project Accessibility
- Engineering and Logistics: In April 2018, Engineering specs were completed for the project and reviewed by the steering committee
- Project Sent out for Tender: In May and June, 2018 permits were applied for and the drawings were put out for tender to allow contractors to bid for the project
- Bids Received from Contractors: In June 2018, quotes were received from a variety of contractors. They are currently under review by the steering committee to plan for next steps
- Application for Federal Funding: In2one Community Church applied for the New Horizons for Seniors Grant through the federal government in June 2019 to obtain additional funding for supporting seniors programs through the renovation of the kitchen